Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Friday, May 26, 2006

Walmart is evil! (As if you didn't know already...)


Those of you who read my blog know how I feel about how bettas are kept in this country. Well, the average small betta bowl holds 2 pints of water. The cups that bettas are sold in at pet stores hold 1 pint of water.

My dad and I were just at a Walmart and we saw at least 20 bettas. The cup with the most water was just over half full (half a pint of water!). Most of them were closer to 1/2 inch full. I decided that this was ridiculous and decided to talk to a manager.

We got an associate to page a manager. Then we waited. And waited. And waited. Then another associate paged a manager. So we waited. And waited. And waited. Then yet another associate called a manager. Finally, a manager and her side-kick showed up.

I told them that the level of water in the betta cups was way too low. I pointed out that many of the fish couldn't even extend their fins. Then the managers told us that the water level was within the levels allowed by the fish company. I repeated that it was unacceptable. I also told them that if the situation wasn't remedied soon, I would write in to the newspaper and contact the animal rights people. The managers still insisted that it was plenty of water for the fish to survive. My dad mentioned that people could live without running water too, but that didn't seem to impress these managers. The lady asked me how long bettas could live out of water and wanted me to find out for her and let her know! Of all the nerve, asking me to do her homework! Anyway, somewhere in all the insistance that it wasn't a problem to have such low water levels, someone said that they would discuss the matter with the higher ups. How hard is it??? Just have an associate check the water levels once a week and fill as necessary! Also, they insisted that the levels were OK according to the fish supplier (Animal Graphics). I'm going to call them in the morning and ask just how they feel about that.

Both my dad and I were really surprised that they insisted on arguing with us about this. Usually, a manager is supposed to just placate the customer, even if they don't actually do anything about it.

If you know me and live in the same town as my folks, go into Walmart and give them hell if there isn't enough water in the betta cups!

FYI, I looked up a couple of websites on bettas to see how much water they recommend. One suggests a minimum of a 1/2 gallon. Another suggests 2 litres as the minimum (about 4 pints, or half a gallon).

4 comments:

Christie said...

I've been following your plight against Walmart and want to say Kudos to you and your Dad! I recently heard that many Walmart fish departments will be closing soon. (not sure why) but this can only be a good thing for the fish.

Unfortunately those cups are standard all around. PetCo uses them too. Two years ago I walked into my local PetCo and found they had all their bettas in even tinier cups then the standard ones (measured in ounces). I went home and wrote a firm yet professional letter to the store manager and got a reply by phone a few days later. She called to tell me that putting them in those even smaller cups was a regretful mistake they made when they ran out of the normal ones. They said the situation had been rectified and it wouldn't happen again. Of course I went back to check. Well, they held true to their word. I shopped there for the next year and never saw the tiny cups again. Now, PetCo is by no means setting the standard in fish care but I considered it a small success.

Until the U.S. adopts pet store laws like those in England we will be fighting an up hill battle. Anyway, good for you for saying something.

Karen said...

Please feel free to write a letter to this Walmart, and maybe even to check out the one(s) in your area to see if this is only a local problem of if it is corporation-wide.

This store is Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #1654, 7295 Glory Road, Baxter, MN 56425, (218) 829-2220.

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Katie and i live in Cypress, TX. Last night i went with my friends to wal-mart and not only were the water levels low but there were dead fish that were decaying, algea, excessive amount of excrement, and dust in these fish containers. Some of the fish were diseased and had the condition know has "fin rot" where there is so much bacteria that thier fins actually begin to decay and float around in the water. We were just as upset as you and had a similar experience with waiting for a manager. Finally, a large group of lauging employees gathered around us and their manager to "watch the show". He told us that taking care of these fish is a process that cost alot of money, and that we should understand this and blah blah blah. BULL CRAP! We argued that if they can't afford to take care of the fish then they shouldn't sell them! We are currently working on a documentary that we will give the executives of wal-mart, the autorities, and various pro-animal rights organizations to help us bunch of highschoolers become heard!

Karen said...

Hi Katie! Good work. High school students can certainly accomplish a lot. If you can, get the local news media involved.