Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Couch ferret-proofed


I found some foam that I thought might have been coming from somewhere under the couch. Anna and I flipped the couch, but we couldn't find any holes in anything. I decided to go ahead and ferret-proof the couch anyway.

My original plan had been to use corner brackets to hold a sheet of plywood in place, but when I we flipped over the couch, we realized that the hide-a-bed extended about an inch past the bottom of the couch frame, so that idea wasn't going to work anymore. So, we took measurements and went to Home Depot to get strips of wood and a sheet of something to fix the couch. We ended up getting 2"x2" strips and a sheet of hardboard cut to my measurements. However, after it had been cut, I looked at the piece and it looked too small. I looked at my measurements again and decided that I probably under sized the piece by about 4 inches, so I had an extra 4" strip cut from the scrap. When we got back to the apartment, we found that the 4" strip was in fact the exact amount needed. Go me for catching it while still at the store! Too bad I didn't notice before the first piece was cut.

Anyway, we came back and nailed the frame-extender strips to the bottom of the frame and then put the board over top of that. For some reason, the nails kept bending on one side of the couch. I'm not sure if the wood in the couch was that much denser on that side or what, but 2 or 3 nails bent going in. I put some Gorilla Glue that I stole from James into the crack between the two strips of hardboard, though I don't know if that will help or not, but I figure it can't hurt. Then I put some newsprint over the crack to help seal it. So, it's done now. Yeah!

Unfortunately for Fuzzball, her balls of string will no longer fit under the couch. I wonder where she will start stashing them now!?

No comments: