Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Saturday, May 27, 2006

The Great Outdoors

Mom is making supper and we realized that sweet potatoes would be really yummy with the roast that she was cooking. Since we live about 5 blocks from the grocery store, I decided to walk.

I had some thoughts while I was walking. The first was about how nice the weather was, now that it's cooled down a bit making the humidity bareable.

The second was that choosing to go for a walk after having cut my toe open probably wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done.

The third was a contemplation of the bell shaped development of transportation. As a child, I walked or rode bike all over the neighborhood. When I was old enough to drive and had my own car, I drove everywhere. Only in the last couple of years have I decided that it is preferable to walk, even though I could drive. It's that whole health/environment awareness thing as opposed to the feeling of attainment attached to being able to drive a car. I think it's really common in our society to be confused by someone who chooses to walk rather than drive. Driving is so much faster and convenient; why would anyone want to walk in the hot, humid weather??? So, yeah, I think it's something special to prefer walking to driving (not to say that I would walk all the way across town if I actually had to accomplish anything that day or carry anything with me, but there's nothing wrong with a short walk to the store).

No comments: