Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Saturday, May 13, 2006

AHHRGGHHH! Corelli's Mandolin


I just finished reading Corelli's Mandolin, the book upon which the movie Captain Corelli's Mandolin was based. The movie was rather true to the book in the parts portrayed up to the point of the firing squad, though with gaping omissions. Günther was much less of a sympathetic character in the book. Carlo was much better developed. Mandras was ... interesting.

Everything after the firing squad was completely changed in the movie, so I read the book, being surprised by the last 100 pages or so. It was good. I was up until about 3am trying to finish it, but then I had to go to sleep. I finished it this morning. The ending was less than satisfactory. It left me with all the pent up rage that Pelagia must have been feeling, I wanted to throw the book out the window! Maybe it would have been different if I hadn't seen the movie first. It really is a story of opportunity lost.

So, I recommend the book, but damn the ending is annoying! Maybe I just really want the "happily ever after".

No comments: