Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Fuzzball's surgery


Well, Fuzzball has had her surgery. The doctor said that he removed her left adrenal gland, but that the right one looked fine. He also didn't see any insulinomas and said that her blood sugar was fine this morning.

I've borrowed a blood-sugar meter from my dad, so I'll be testing her blood-sugar level periodically. The vet suggested that it might be possible/desireable to ween her off of the steroid that the other vet put her on for her low blood-sugar.

He predicts a full recovery.


She is supposed to be kept quiet for a couple of days, so she's in the rabbit hutch with lots of soft blankets, food, water, and a litter pan. She's already started eating again, though it took some coaxing to make her remember that she likes her food. Her appetite seems to be quite healthy.

Since my apartment is so small and James is out of town for the week, he's agreed to let me keep her in his apartment until she is able to be re-united with Chaos.

The doctor gave me amoxicillin (the pink stuff!) and a pain reliever to give to her for the next week or so. She doesn't like the flavor of either of them, but she really dislikes the pain-killer. I have to mix it with A LOT of FerreTone to get her to lap it up.

The poor dear is so drugged up right now that she stayed in my lap quietly enough to not only let me take the above picture, but also long enough for me to prepare her medicines. Usually, she is way too fidgety!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That incision is huge. I'm glad there is less bruising in the picture in this post, than in the more recent post - because the bruising in the other post made the incision look even larger than it is.

I'm glad there was only one adrenal affected.

So, is it possible that she is not truly diabetic? Or that it was caught in enough time to turn it around?

Cat

Karen said...

I had gotten a tip to get her blood sugar checked from a woman from a ferret charity that helped pay for Fuzzball's surgery. At the time, her blood-sugar level read 67. The vet who did the operation said that it was up into the low hunreds, so not at all dangerous. Of course, she has been getting the steroid that the first vet prescribed, so it might be that this is what is keeping her blood-sugar level normal. The surgeon suggested that I start weening her off of the steroid and see if she is doing OK. I'm going to wait to check her blood-sugar level until she's a bit more healed. I'll post as soon as I know more.