Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Thursday, March 02, 2006

fact vs fiction

Some researchers in England are trying to profit from THE DA VINCI CODE.

I am of the opinion that anything published in a non-fiction context is considered research and is protected by copyright in the context of non-fiction. However, using a concept of "science" or "history" in a work of fiction should not be, and as far as I am aware is not, restricted by law anywhere.

Imagine if I decided to write a work of fiction (i.e. a novel) about the "Hobbits" from Indonesia. (Yeah...it will never happen, but just imagine!) Would the researchers who discovered the archeological remains have any claim to any revenues generated by my book? No, I don't think so.

Keep it straight, folks. Fact or fiction (or at least fiction or non-fiction).

No comments: