Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Fuzzball's blood sugar

Well, I decided to test Fuzzball's blood sugar level today. That was an adventure. First I had trouble getting the monitor to the right screen, because I kept hitting the button to turn it on, instead of just putting in the strip. Once I got the right screen, I tried to use the pin-prick thing to get blood from Fuzzball. Nothing doing. Then I thought, OK, how about a sewing needle, so I tried that. Still nothing. I remembered that I had one sharp, so I drew a little blood and finally was able to get a reading, after having wasted one reading strip through so much handling. Fortunately, Fuzzball didn't seem to notice much of the pricking, except for the sewing needle and the sharp. Now I know how to do it faster the next time!

Anyway, her reading was 150, which is a bit higher than average, but well within normal female ferret range! I've been progressively giving her less and less of the steroid. I think she'll be completely off of it in another week or so. I have a friend who can keep me in clean sharps, so I'll be able to test her level periodically.

Behavior-wise, she seems to be pretty much back to normal. She's running around and seems to be napping much less than before.

She even has shown improvement: She used the litterbox!

No comments: