Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Friday, August 11, 2006

Police in bad neighborhoods

It occured to me as I was walking to the bus this morning, that it would be good to introduce police officers to young children in a non-threatening, enjoyable environment. I think that it is a big problem in "problem neighborhoods", that children grow up hearing the police refered to as the enemy. It would probably help to put a human face on the officers. I suspect that this would lead to more respect and less fear on the part of statistically underpriveleged children growing into adults.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Unfortunately, the larger social issues are often more than any one organization can handle. Society should change, but I think that creating a healthy interaction between the community and law enforcement could be a helpful step in a larger transformation.