Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Hands off my hands!

Apparently, California Assembly woman Sally Lieber - D has introduced a bill that would make spanking your kid a crime.

Jennifer Roback Morse has cited the San Jose Mercury News saying the following:
“The bill, which is still being drafted, will be written broadly, she added, prohibiting ‘any striking of a child, any corporal punishment, smacking, hitting, punching, any of that.’ Lieber said it would be a misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail or a fine up to $1,000, although a legal expert advising her on the proposal said first-time offenders would probably only have to attend parenting classes.”


Although I wouldn't agree with most of Morse's politics, I think that I have to side with her critical evaluation on this one. I think that it is wrong to beat a child. However, I think that it is also wrong to prevent a parent from using reasonable physical force to discipline. Most people can tell the difference between a swat (just fine), a spanking (sometimes appropriate) and a beating (inappropriate), I think. If not, then maybe some education should be the topic of discussion, rather than a ban on physical discipline.

Although I have no children at this point in my life, I'd thank everyone to keep their hands off of my hands when it comes to a well placed swat when the time comes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Most of my family would agree with you, I don't however. I've come into contact with many kids during their stages of development and I don't believe that hands (or any other type of weapon) should be used to punish a child in any way. A child can be confused when the same thing that gives them love is punishing them. There are so many other alternatives to hitting a child and if a parent doesn't have the time or the patience to implement those other alternatives into their discipline routine then they should think twice about having children.