Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Another book down

Well, I finished another book this morning. I had to find a new one after finishing The Da Vinci Code, so I went through a closet at my parents' house until I found one. This time, it was Tony Hillerman's The Fly on the Wall. It's a story about a capitol reporter, who ends up uncovering a story that's already gotten 2 reporters killed and threatens him next. It was a pretty quick read. I liked it. It was much more entertaining than what I was reading this afternoon.

This afternoon's activities consisted of copying lines from Der Ritter von Staufenberg, an Early New High German story about a knight, who has an affair with a magic woman, who promises to come to him and let him have his way with her whenever he wants, as long as he never marries. Well, he marries and after the magic woman's foot appearing through the ceiling at the wedding feast, the knight dies three days later. (OK, the story is alright, it's the paper waiting to be written that's annoying.)

Then I went to the library and paged through about 30 books on the history of the German language and only found information on the development of the future construction in German in about 5 of them. Lovely. Apparently very few people cared to write about it. I'd imagine that this is because it is an analytic form (meaning that it takes two words to do it) and was not in Germanic. *sighs* I find between a paragraph and a few pages in the few history of German books that treat it at all, and I have to write 15 about it. Lovely. If I were really interested in the topic and had found something new and exciting, it would be great to be able to write what few before have written on. However, I haven't discovered anything earth-shattering, and can't really get excited about the topic. At least I can spend a few pages talking about how possible future forms are expressed in the knight story.

No comments: