Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Chickenpox parties

Some parents are afraid to vaccinate their children. They are afraid that the vaccination will do more harm than the actual disease.

In fact, per NPR, some parents in Oregon are choosing to intentionally expose their children to chicken pox rather than having them inoculated.

As far as I can tell, the biggest problem with not immunizing everyone is that someone could not only get sick and die later from not having been immunized, but could also spread it to others. On the other hand, if everyone else has been immunized, then those who would get sick would be those who weren't, and if they died, then it would remove them from the gene-pool. Maybe the lack of faith in immunizations would die with them. (Wow...that's rather morbid of me.)

On the other hand, also per NPR, there has been a measles outbreak in Boston, suggesting that even people in their 30s and 40s, who were vaccinated, are at risk.

Some people also simply shouldn't get some vaccinations. I found out quite accidentally from a doctor that I shouldn't get a flu shot. I had gone in for something or other and she had noticed the note on my chart that I'm allergic to latex. She then said "You haven't had a flu shot", which I heard as "You haven't had a flu shot?" She explained that I shouldn't get one because there is some sort of negative interaction from the vaccine with people who have latex allergies.

I've gotten a variety of innoculations due to travelling in South America. I don't even remember how many shots I got. Apparently, none of them have killed me in the last year.

Anyway, get a shot or don't. Just make sure that you've done the research on it one way or the other!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi karen-just came across your post and wanted to let you know that someone who has latex allergy can still get a flu shot. just make sure the vaccine that is used comes in latex-free packaging (i.e., no latex in the syringe or vial stopper). my son has latex allergy and he gets a flu shot every year. i usually do the research each flu season and post my findings to my web site. for example, see Dry Natural Rubber ("Latex") Content of Flu Vaccines (2005-2006 Formula) .