Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Ferret Update: Loki is a butt.

Chaos, is still with us, despite looking increasingly like Gollum from the Lord of the Rings. Loki is strong as ever. I also have a new 5 year old boy, named Enkidu. He's soft as a bunny, much softer fur than other ferrets I've had.

However, there's a problem. Loki is a butt. He's been incredibly aggressive lately towards both my feet and the other ferrets. I don't think that he's trying to hurt anyone; he never draws blood. However, I'm getting really sick of ferret teeth marks on the tops of my feet and heels - I'm allergic to them and they burn! I've tried spraying my feet with bitter apple, but he bites anyway. I've been scruffing him and carrying him around scruffed for a minute or so afterwards, which seems to help, but not until he's bitten and been scruffed a couple of times.

Loki is current on his melatonin implant, but he's still way too easily excitable. It's gotten to the point that he needs to stay in the cage when I have company over, which was never the case before. He also has been going after Chaos more than he used to, and Chaos is just too old for that! Loki and Enkidu fight all the time, but no one draws blood and they are both healthy, so I'm not as concerned about that combination.

Loki is about 4. Is it likely that his behavior would get better if I had his adrenal tumor surgically removed? The melatonin implants are working fine on his fur, but his behavior is really getting out of hand.

Alternately, are there any training sorts of things that you would recommend?

Thanks for any advice anyone might have!

No comments: