Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Chocolate is bad for ferrets

So, around 6:30, I went down to put a note on the outside door for a delivery person. Chaos followed me out into the hallway. I figured that it was no big deal because all the doors to the hall were closed. Surprisingly, he didn't follow me to the front door. I found him in front of a neighbor's door with a coin's size of chocolate in his mouth. I pulled the rest out of his mouth. He had chocolate breath.

I don't know how much he actually ate, but I had heard that chocolate could be toxic, so I called the vet. She told me that we couldn't know how toxic the chocolate would be, since we didn't know what kind of chocolate it was or how much he'd had. She suggested that I give him half a tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide since it should make him vomit up anything he'd eaten. So, I gave it to him. He didn't vomit. I called back and she suggested that I try giving him water. So I force fed him water with a syringe. He still didn't comply. Then I called the vet again, and she said that I should try giving him something to eat, so I did. He still didn't do anything. So, I called the vet again, and she said that I could give him another dose. I spent about two hours keeping him in the tub in hopes that he would vomit. I shook him up and down (after 4-6 oz of water, he sounded like a water balloon), massaged his tummy, tried to hit his gag reflex.

This all just resulted in a very upset and confused, but rather well hydrated, ferret. I finally put him into his cage, in the hope that he would go to sleep, but he just ran around like crazy. So, I took him back out and held him until he calmed down. I think he forgave me, though. He licked my nose. He seems fine today. Thank goodness!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

its only toxic in large amounts, most that would do is give him a sugar high lol, good luck with the fuzzy friends ^.^