Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Loki: Not dead yet!

I took Loki in for a distemper vaccination. In the car on the way home,just a couple of blocks from the vet, he started vomiting, so I pulled a U-y and brought him back to the vet. After he got there, he started pooing blood and his skin, especially visible in the paw pads and gums turned bright red. They gave him antibiotics, Benadryl, fluids and sugar water. He was pretty out of it for about 3 hours. Since the vet didn't have anything that he would eat, I drove to Target to get some chicken baby-food, which he ate, though he needed a bit of coaxing to decide that he was hungry.

Now he seems to be doing fine, though tired, since they had me keep him awake and try to make him active the whole time. Now we're home and he's sleeping. The little butt wouldn't take his medicine, even though I mixed it with chicken baby food. I'll have to try it again tomorrow morning with Ferretone or soybean oil.

I'm absolutely exhausted! The last couple of times that I had to take a ferret in, in critical condition, they died. Needless to say, I was very concerned that I was about to lose my Loki boy too!

I'm supposed to watch him tonight and see how he is in the morning. If he has more problems overnight, I'll need to take him to the emergency animal hospital, or if he's having issues in the morning, then I can take him back to the vet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Loki survived and Snowball is gaining weight. You don't need to mourn another lost pet.