Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Kids' reading list

I would like to recommend the following socially conscious Dr. Seuss books for kids:
The Butter Battle Book



The Sneetches and Other Stories



The Lorax


They are great for getting kids to engage with social issues of the "other", both at home and abroad, foreign policy, and the environment. I'm sure that there are others, but these are the ones that I really loved when I was a kid!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! That's great. I'm sure you must be the first one to have read the Dr. Suess books as hidden social commentary! Incredible insight!! How wacky is that!?!? But it fits, in a strange way...what about "One Fish, Two Fish"?!?!? (wait... "red fish, blue fish" democrats vs. republicans!?!? holy sh*t)! I'm giving this list to my children, and that's final!!!

Karen said...

To "the mom in the hat"

I re-read my post and didn't see where I was to have claimed to have been the first to read social commentary in Dr. Seuss. I don't believe that I ever called the commentary "hidden" either. I'm not sure how much reading between the lines is required here, but I'm pretty sure that all I wrote was that I liked these books and that they were good for the social awareness of children.

...of course, there is the school of thought that says that the author's intent is meaningless in the interpretation of a text. Maybe that's where you're coming from. I think that they require text based evidence for their interpretations, however.