Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

And then there's Palestine

I'm currently catching up on back-issues of The Daily Show. The one that I'm currently watching is an interview with Zaki Chehab.

He is saying that the United States should be more proactive in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Regardless of whether the USA could solve the conflict or not, I can't help but being a bit resentful of the call on the United States to do something.

There are just too many mixed messages: Go in militarily here. Don't bring the military there. Fix this. Keep your nose out of that.

I think that if the United States is expected to "impose a solution", then there needs to be some understanding when the USA goes in and makes the situation worse as well. It's impossible to expect 100% success, despite what the American national myth says.

On the one hand, I think that it would be good for the USA to use its resources to go in and make peace. On the other hand, the American government always makes sure to install pro-American (and often anti-populace) governments, so maybe its better for the USA to stay out.

I don't know if I believe that we should be actively involved in world affairs or not, but I am tired of everyone blaming the USA both for getting involved and for staying out.

Can't anyone else use diplomacy and make the USA's military might obsolete?

No comments: