Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Low blood sugar in a ferret

I accidentally found out the other day what happens when a ferret has low bloodsugar. The ferrets were in the cage all day and I had neglected to check the food-dish before leaving. Apparently it was empty. Chaos seemed to be the only one with a problem. I got home and opened the doors to take him and Fuzzball out. Usually Chaos would sit on the floor for a minute and then scamper off to take care of business. This time, he ran back into the cage and up to the top floor to get my attention. He was shaking...little seizures through the extemities. I had to give him some Karo syrup to get his bloodsugar up high enough for him to eat again. Then I gave him some olive oil for some (from the ferret perspective) yummy non-sugar calories.

It took me calling the vet and her mentioning blood sugar for me to figure out what had happened.

No comments: