Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Poor little doggie!

I just read that a Dutchman's dog accidentally got left behind in Sicily. After a lot of confusion and phoning, the dog made it home, "shaken, soaking-wet, and thirsty". Poor little thing!

However, the state of the dog after this odyssey is not what makes me write this blog entry. The thing that really caught my attention was a Dutch word that I didn't understand, and since my "Word of the Day" news source is intended for Germans, it only gave the German definition. The Dutch word was "vuilnisbakje", literally 'little trashcan'. The German word was "Promenadenmischung", something like 'promenade mix'. It turns out that these words translate as "mutt" or "mongrel" in English. Based soley on this word, I would guess the Dutch traditionally don't put much stock in non-purebreds!

Source of the orginal article:
Nieuwsservice van Radio Nederland Wereldomroep
Editie: Nederlands Nieuws, 28 augustus 2006
http://www.rnw.nl/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

JOSH GROBAN RULES!!

Karen said...

Why do I get the feeling I've been tagged? What does Josh Groban have to do with poor little puppies???

Anonymous said...

you're it! LOL!