Cast of Characters:



Karen
Enkidu (AKA Slim)
Beowolf (AKA Wolfie)
Blaze (AKA Blaze)

Saturday, April 08, 2006

jogging shoes


I went jogging today for the second time since September, the other time being two weeks ago. I had to dig through my car to find my MP3-player, which had been floating around the floorboard since Thanksgiving. Then I had to get a new battery for it, so I walked a few blocks to a Walgreens and bought a couple.

Then I started jogging. I made it about 10 minutes/1 mile. Then I walked another half mile to an athletic shoes store.

The salesman looked at me walking and said that I didn't have anything wrong with my gait, so I didn't need to have special shoes. He showed me a couple of pairs. I asked him about price, and he said it would range from $80 to $90, which wasn't a surprise, since my friend Julie, who recommended the store, had said as much. I asked if there was anything any cheaper. He found a pair on close-out that I tried on. They actually felt better than the other options, as well as costing much less. I paid $62.19 by the time tax was added in. They are "Brooks Radius 04". I wore them home, walking an alternate route of 2.25 miles. I jogged a bit, but only very short increments, maybe 1 or 2 minutes.

It will be a while before I can jog 20 minutes at a stretch and even longer before I get back up to 30 minutes! It's amazing how quickly you fall out of shape and gain weight! It's depressing, really. All the work of a year of training and weightloss, and then you stop for a few months and gain all the weight back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It IS depressing, but not as bad as the alternative... :-)

Seriously, I've gained and lost a lot over the years, and the secret is to carve your exercise time out of your schedule with a meat ax...but don't set your requirements too high on any given day. If you have five minutes one day, excersise five minutes (jumping jacks and push-ups or whatever) If you have an hour another day, do an hour. But do something every day...even if it is just a few minutes of jogging in place or a couple sit-ups or toe-touches.

It helps keep you in some kind of shape for when you have the time to do a real work-out.

Teresa

Anonymous said...

jogging can loss my weight. a year ago I did jogging every morning and I loss 3 kg in weight.